Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Little Ice Music

Even though I've only stepped on the ice once in my life, I love to choreograph skating programs in my head, many times to music that hasn't been used. Since I'm not a skater, I've taken to using some of this music for the fictional skaters in my stories. I would very much like to see programs performed to these songs/classical pieces in reality, though!

Here are some of my wish-list instrumental works for competitive programs: (each piece is linked so you can listen)

"Enjoy the Silence" by Tanghetto - Yes, it's a tango (which I've become very weary of), but it's a different spin on it and a great remake of the Depeche Mode hit.

"Victoria's Secret" from the Due South TV show soundtrack

"Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix" from Samson and Delilah performed by Stjepan Hauser

Piano Concerto 2nd Movement by Grieg - I've heard other parts of Grieg's Piano Concerto in skating programs but not this movement.

"Overture" from Prince Igor - "Polovtsian Dances" is the popular piece from Prince Igor, but I think this piece could work well for skating, also.

"Morning's Promise" by David Sun

"A Pine Forest in Winter" from The Nutcracker - The Grand Pas de Deux from The Nutcracker is the usual skating music, but I think this piece is more beautiful.

And some of my wish-list songs for exhibition programs:

"Sparks" by Coldplay

"Blue Dress" by Depeche Mode

"Overcome" by Better Than Ezra

"A Bad Dream" by Keane - could Lynn/Logan or Meryl/Charlie please skate to this? :)

"Decode" by Paramore

"Sunshower" by Chris Cornell (also on the Great Expectations soundtrack)

As you can probably tell from my music choices, my favorite exhibitions are moody or romantic. Fun and upbeat ones are great, too, but they don't stick with me like the more emotional programs do.

If you've seen performances to any of the music listed above, please let me know in the comments section below! I've watched a lot of skating over the years, but I'm sure there are some programs out there I've missed.

4 comments:

  1. Ilia Kulik's skated to Pine Forest in Winter as a professional: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-hQp1zd00Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix from Samson and Delilah (not this version, but an orchestral version), was part of Joannie Rochette's 2009-2010 Olympic season long program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of skaters have used that piece. It's this particular cello rendition that I'd love to see used :)

      Delete