Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Grand Prix Mid-Season Review

As we prepare for the second half of the Grand Prix season, I thought I'd take a few moments to reflect on what we've seen so far this year. There have been some surprises (Kevin Van der Perren's medal at Skate America, Javier Fernandez nearly taking gold in Canada, Bobrova/Soloviev's scores in China) but also much of the predictable happenings we've come to expect (Chanflation, cries of "wuzrobbed" in ice dance, Brian Joubert missing a GP event with injury).

The level of skating was a bit uneven in the first three events, but Skate America, Skate Canada, and Cup of China did have their moments. We have yet to see some of the big names (Mao Asada, the aforementioned Brian Joubert, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Tomas Verner, etc), so I expect the competition to heat up in the next three weeks.

I haven't been blown away with many of the program choices this year, but a few have stood out for me. My favorites of the season thus far:

Jeremy Abbott's long program - "Exogenesis Symphony" by Muse

Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy's long program - Pina soundtrack

Meryl Davis/Charlie White's short dance - Samba and Rhumba medley

Daisuke Takahashi's short program - In the Garden of Souls

Madison Chock/Evan Bates's free dance - Prelude in E Minor by Chopin


Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig's long program - Daphnis & Chloe/Reverie


Which programs have been your favorites this season? Leave your comments below!



4 comments:

  1. Meryl-Charlie's SD - it's definitely 1st. FD is magical. But I want to single out EX. it'a also masterpiece, one of the best EX ever.

    Madi-Evan's FD is amazing. But SD also charms, especially Madi in it. She's impersonation of passion and tenderness simultaneously, awwww!

    Another one revelation for me in this season are Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland. both programs are nice)

    Aliona-Robin's LP is great. I also like Tanya-Max in SP.

    Alissa's LP is amazing. ...but her last LP was better, I think)

    And Dai, Dai! His SP...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I loooovvvve Meryl and Charlie's exhibition, also! Theirs and Jeremy's to "Hometown Glory" are my two favorite exhibitions of the season. Coomes and Buckland are such a charming couple! I really like their SD. I think Alissa's LP is great, too. Her style is perfect for "Valse Triste."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate Davis/White dances!! are not original and they don´t dance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course Alissa's new LP is great cause Alissa is great!:) I love all her programs, but LP 2010-11 is my favourite program. generally)

    ReplyDelete